Monday, June 19, 2006

Germany should be ashamed

All of you who read the Dumb Ox know the Ox and I have been talking alot about the importation of Eastern European women into Germany to "service" male World Cup fans.

Donna Hughes over at the National Review is on the story. She recounts the tale of two Russian women who were shipped to Germany and used as prostitutes.


She is quite right that Germany should be ashamed of what is going on. Germany legalized prostitution in 2002 at the insistence of women's groups and perverts. As many as 40,000 women will be imported for the World Cup.

The exploitation of women in this manner is something that no civilized nation should tolerate. I do not buy this "it is my body I can do what I want with it." That is a load of bogus garbage. Hughes article points out that most of the workers are controlled by pimps and mafia groups and have little choice in what they do. This is despite the fact that it is a legal career in Germany. This is not a freedom issue. What is at issue is the basic dignity of the human person.

I also do not buy the "victimless crime" mentality. There are plenty of victims to prostitution. First of all is the prostitute and customer, both their families, and the people in the neighborhoods where the acts occur who see their property values go down and have to deal with the blowback from sex workers. What about the health system that has to deal with the disease and health problems sex workers encounter?

Let me cut off a few objections. I know prostitution has been around forever and has been accepted in many other societies. That is meaningless. Cannibalism has been around forever and been accepted in many societies. Should we legalize the eating of others? Just because something has been around forever does not mean that it is right.

There is no dignity to prostitution. Would you want your daughter to choose the life spent on her back, knees, or bending over a table?

No matter how lonely I get I would not use a prostitute. I would never be able to forgive myself.