Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A School Board out of control

A group of religious leaders in the Texas town of Port Arthur have called for a general student strike starting Friday to protest abuses by the school board.

This issue is close to my heart because I grew up in Port Arthur. I did not attend PAISD, but I am aware of it problems.

Let me explain. Port Arthur is heavily minority and its politics have always been tainted by the specter of racial accusations. The school board does waste alot of money, and it should be rich considering all the chemical plants in its tax district, but it also other problems.

The district is heavy on administrators for one thing. It also is forced to pay higher salaries to its teachers due to the dangerous nature of its schools. PAISD has been failing its students for along time and it has finally come to a head.