Friday, August 03, 2007

Editorial Round-up

Time for a round up of editorials that I find interesting and hope you do as well.

1. Rich Lowery examines how JFK's assassination destroyed patriotic liberalism.

2. Ann Coulter talks about how the YouTube debate crowd was more "hippy" than "hip."

One of the funniest things about the debate was the fact that Bill "Hey I'm Hispanic" Richardson got a whoop for wanting to raise teacher's pay. Why does anyone think that raising teacher pay will help education? Do they get smarter when you pay them more?

The argument might be made that higher salaries would attract better workers, but I doubt the validity of that. Those with a modicum of intelligence could make more in the private sector in the long run. Besides, teachers are paid better than everyone thinks.

I just do not think that teachers often deserve what they make. When I was in college I had a few class with Education majors and they were by far the dumbest people I have ever met. I resolved that day that my children would never see the inside of a public school.

I want my kids educated in a manner that fuses Western commitments to rationalism and science to the Judeo-Christian world view. I do not want them hearing propaganda delivered by near illiterates.

3. Cal Thomas asks the question "What if we win?"

Its a good question, and one the Dims do not want to have to answer.